Thursday, August 2, 2007

For the love of STRAWBERRIES

Anyone that knows me very well, knows that I love strawberries. My grandpa would tell stories that he and grandma would take me to the strawberry patch and then to the store to get some whipped topping, but before we made it back home I had opened the strawberries and started eating them. I still love them. Especially when my nonnie would make me her homemade Strawberry Shortcake. Mine never turns out as well as hers did, but I occasionally make, usually on my birthday. Nonnie always made me one for my birthday. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her very much.

Last night I decided that I would finally try a new recipe for a simpler Strawberry Shortcake, it was more like a trifle. But oh soooooooo good. Here is the recipe:

  • 1 large angel food cake (I made one as I didn't have a box mix)
  • 1 - 8oz package of cream cheese softened
  • 1 - 12oz package of frozen whipped topping, defrosted
  • 1 - 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3T cornstarch
  • 3T strawberry gelatin
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries - quartered (I used more strawberries and sprinkled with 2T sugar and let sit for a bit)

Slice the cake using a serrated knife or tear apart. I cut the cake in half and then tore it into pieces. For the custard: Mix together the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and frozen whipped topping. For the glaze: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, stawberry gelatin and water. Cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Fold in the strawberries. To assemble the Strawberry Shortcake. Take a large glass bowl and place half of the cake in the bottom of the bowl, cover with half of the custard and then top with the strawberries. Repeat one more time.

The side pictures did not turn out very well. But it is very pretty layered in the glass bowl. And I of course had to taste it almost immediately. It was good, but not as good as letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight and let the flavors combine. It's not nonnie's but it will do. This one is much simpler to make on a regular basis and I will save her's for special occasions.

Another one of my favorite strawberry recipes is for a Strawberry Vinagrette. I found the recipe in a Weight Watchers magazine 3 years ago and just love it. Here is the recipe:
  • 1 cup quarted strawberries
  • 1T + 1tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1T canola oil
  • 2tsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch of black pepper

Puree all ingredients in a blender. Makes about 3/4 cup. I store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. It usually doesn't last that long.

No comments: