Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A steal of a deal if you ask me...


How much did you spend on those??? That is the question I was asked when I came home with all of these flowers. 2 dozen roses and some spring/summer beauties. Last year, I frequented the Farmer’s Market almost weekly and would spend $12 on 3 beautiful bouquets. This year, I have not been able to frequent the market as much. Why? Work on the house and to be honest, it was getting to be too expensive to take the kiddos. 3 bags of small popcorn, some produce for 1 maybe 2 night’s meals, flowers and bread for one meal, was costing $40-$50 dollars. That is half of my grocery budget for the week. And I know I could have done without the flowers, but they were just so pretty and every room needs some flowers and I just couldn't say "NO". Without the kiddos, I could have spent less and will probably go a few more times before the summer is over to try to get some of the fall bounty when it comes in.

Anyway, I digress; I was in my local Aldi’s on a Thursday morning just before lunch. They sell fresh bouquets of flowers for $2.99, you can choose from a dozen roses or whatever there mix is for the week. On this Thursday morning, the bouquets were marked down to $.75, yep, that is 75 cents for a bouquet. I bought 2 for me and 1 for my brother-in-law to take home to his very pregnant wife (which he kept forgetting so I ended up putting in a vase). I was very happy that I picked up 2 dozen roses for $1.50.
The flowers lasted for about a week and then were discarded. But I will be on the look out at Aldi’s for the extremely cheap flowers again (and if I just need a pick me up $2.99 is not so bad either).

No comments: