Sunday, March 23, 2008

I have a new favorite....

author. I just finished Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I picked this book up just after Christmas and just got around to reading it. It took me about a week to read. Once I started I could not put it down. The story is about a young Amish woman, an overworked big named defense attorney needing a break and the murder of an infant. The story shows what life is like in an Amish community and how family is very important. It also shows that appearances are not everything. I learned not only about the Amish and the law, but also more about myself, my doubts and my fears. I cannot describe the feelings that I went through. Anger, confusion, passion, love, sympathy, frustration, and so many more.

I will remember the acronym that Samuel explains while he is sitting in the witness stand talking about his "plain" life. JOY - J-Jesus, O-others, Y-yourself. The Amish live their lives by putting Jesus first, then others and finally yourself. In the spirit of Easter, this makes perfect sense to me!!

1 comment:

nancy colbrook said...

hey, read that one last year... it was a pretty good one. although the ending really pissed me off. kim and i and are planning on reading a change of heart - i have to find a couple of bucks before i pick it up... after i read it i will send it to you. currently i am reading the boleyn inheritance. i did not get to see the other boleyn girl. i did watch 27 dresses. well, miss ya! take care. nancy