Monday, November 5, 2007

Simple things


The above is a Rag Quilt Wall Hanging that I made. Embroidered on each of the hearts is the saying "Live, Love, Laugh". That is how I have been living today. And how I am going to live each day from now on. I have been working my way through "The Purpose Driven Life" instead of 1 day at a time, 1 week at a time. I realize this defeats the purpose of the book, however, for me it makes it much easier to process. I was afraid that I would read each chapter do the journalling and go on without much thought. Doing it this way gives me time to review what I have written and really let the message sink in.
I was re-reading on of the questions, that pertained to life on earth is a temporary assignment. This made me think, then I wrote, if life is a temporary assignment, then the material items that we hold onto are really not necessary. As I have been getting my home ready for the holidays and just in order for a less chaotic life and much simpler life, I have been purging and getting rid of stuff. With life being a temporary assignment, it makes letting go of things much easier. We really don't need to hold onto all of the baby toys, there are children that we could use them. Do we really need all of those clothes that are hanging in our closet, time to get rid of more of them and donate those as well. Do we really need all of those books (paperback books that I have read and will probably not read again.) time to give them to the library and let them use them or sell them in their next sale.
The passage really helped me get a handle on living more simply and why I should live more simply.

No comments: