Friday, July 20, 2007

Farmers Market Friday

Today was our library day and visit to the local farmers market. The produce is starting to come in and is beautiful. We did not buy any today as we were just given cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet corn and zucchini by mom and grandpa. My tomatotes on my tomato plants are starting to turn red. So we will have an abundance of those in the next few weeks. I'm going to use some of the cucumbers to make my Nonnie's Sweet Pickles. I think the boys will enjoy them as they love pickles. The zucchini, well, I am planning on grilling some and then making some bread out of the rest. The sweet corn, we are going to enjoy with dinner tomorrow evening and the rest (there are 2 dozen ears) I am going to freeze.

At the farmers market I picked up my flowers for the week. Beautiful lilies, sunflowers, gladiolius, daisy's, and many more little treasures. We again purchased 3 bouquets for $12. A steal in my opinoin. I chatted with the flower lady and when she asked where we had been for the last few weeks, I told her on vacation in the Poconos and that we made a trip into New York City. She and her husband both asked if we visited the Farmers Market there and I said I was able to and it is so big and busy. I then chatted with Tammy and I purchased some Mango Tea, that I cannot wait to try. She was so kind and I am going to browse her products some more and see if there is anything else that could be of some use to me. She's going to contact me about crafts shows, as I was discussing with her the crafts and things that I make and do.

Monday the boys and I went Blueberry picking at Tammen Treeberry Farm . They are/were selling blueberries for $1.40 per pound. What a great deal. They took you out to the blueberry bushes by tractor with a trailer, let you off and you pick whatever you want. They do ask that you only pick the blueberries and the ones that are not yet ripe to leave as they have 2 pickings each year. We had a great time. We went with some moms from my MOMs Group and it was nice chatting with them as the kids played. We ate lunch and then came home. We've made blueberry pancakes this week and I froze the rest, am planning on some cobblers and muffins later in the summer.

I'm all caught up on our happenings. I'm going to go and spend some time sewing.

No comments: